Tuesday 10 December 2013

Meet The Execs: Jonny Urmston

In following with our employability theme, this week we speak to Jonny Urmston, who as Corporate Relations Executive, is responsible for all contact we have with sponsors, companies and business advisors.


Name and course?

Jonny Urmston, third year Accounting and Financial Management

Tell us about your hometown 

I live in a village called Culcheth, it’s on the outskirts of Warrington. It’s not too small, but it only has one club which is pretty rubbish and it’s a half hour drive to either Manchester or Liverpool so it’s not the best for nights out! It has a nice golf course! It’s just closer to Manchester than Liverpool, so I’m justified in supporting Manchester United.

What was your favourite moment of the summer?

I did an internship with Deloitte in Liverpool and at the end of my placement, I had an interview for a grad job which I was successful in. So that was probably my best moment of the summer. Apart from that I went on a few holidays to Majorca and Rhodes but apart from that I pretty much worked all summer so nothing exciting!

Do you feel Enactus has improved your employability?

It has definitely improved my employability. You gain so much experience in your projects and when in an interview it is much more impressive than using examples from group work on your course. When I had an interview for my internship I was able to answer pretty much all of the competency questions with examples from being part of Enactus.

Marmite. Discuss. 

Have to admit I am pro-marmite. Wouldn’t say I was mad on it but I wouldn’t turn down marmite on toast!

If you had to move to another country, where would you go?

Either, America or Australia. I went to Sydney and Cairns on a biology field trip in college and it was amazing so I would love to go back! I’ve always wanted to travel round America, the food on Man vs Food looks awesome and I’d love to work on Wall street and have a huge house!   

How does actually working on a project compare to being an exec member?

There are benefits of both, so if you’ve joined Enactus early I would definitely recommend starting in a project and then moving onto the Exec team. When working in a project you get the chance to actually make an impact, be it either socially or make money to fund the social portfolio. It’s a great chance to meet new people in your team. Being part of the Exec team you have the chance to improve your leadership skills and you can contribute to the overall strategy of the company. Also, you can tell the person conducting an interview you’re actually a director of a Limited company which is pretty impressive!

List 3 things you couldn't live without.

Phone, muffins (got a new obsession) and Enactus (just for the blog)        
   
Favourite thing to munch on during Enactus evening?

Has to be a subway – Italian BMT

No comments:

Post a Comment