Monday 24 March 2014

The Intern: Contestant Blogs!

The final task is due to on Wednesday, but before this begins, we thought we'd ask the contestants to share some thoughts and feelings on their experiences in the competition so far. 

In this post, we will hear the reflections of 6 of the remaining 17 candidates; Sam, Chioma, Niamh, Harriet, Tom and Anu. 


SAM GRAY
"My Time In The Intern"




















The Intern has quite simply been the experience I have been waiting for. Just over a month ago, I had a keen interest in business whilst working away at my biology degree and going about my everyday life. Now however, over three great tasks I have experienced what I was looking for; a chance to prove my leadership and display my skills in a real business setting.

The one aspect of the competition I have enjoyed the most so far has been working with similar bright and driven individuals. The most recent task was a great example of this; not only did my team win the round, but I made some amazing friends and learned some new skills from them in the process. The tasks so far have managed to bring out out some of my qualities as a businessman. I have always considered selling as one of my strongest skills, and this was reinforced in the second task when I was the team’s top salesman. 

For our next task, I have been appointed team leader and I relish the chance to prove myself.

The Intern has been a huge accelerant in my personal development. Irrespective of whether I win the competition, I am one step closer to being the well-rounded businessman I aspire to be.

CHIOMA OTI
"Casting Reflections"

















I’m about to enter the last critical stages of the competition, and whilst it has only been a few weeks, an immense amount has happened in those weeks. I feel as if I’ve grown as a person, my knowledge has expanded exponentially. Participating in ‘The Intern’ has been a blast. I’ve picked up and developed loads of key business skills from marketing to sales (pricing & negotiating) to working efficiently in a team, and did all of this without making an idiot out of myself on National television, hooray! 

The tasks have seen us holding a Flea Market to, selling vinyl clocks and bracelets all for charitable causes. In the course of this journey, I’ve found out that people are generous and willing to help if you can build up the courage to just ask! The work done by Enactus Sheffield being just a community of students is just phenomenal. They have been able to transform lives of people in need through projects ranging from a jam making venture, designed to support and rehabilitate the homeless, to schemes that empowers trafficked women through jewellery and cosmetics making. I hope to be a part of this community some day and contribute to their mission of –changing the lives of people through enterprise. 

I have found this experience quite liberating and even if I’m not one of the few that becomes ‘The Intern’, I’ve definitely gotten more than I bargained for. One thing especially that I’ve taken from this experience is how much confidence I’ve developed. It’s made me put myself out there more to try and participate in other activities and experiences I always made excuses to avoid. So much so, I signed up to be a H.O.P.E representative.


NIAMH MACKENZIE-JOHNSON
"Selling Ice to Polar Bears- Participating in the Enactus Intern Competition"



















If you are reserved and the idea of running up to random strangers and trying to thrust your donated wares upon them brings you out in cold sweats, the Enactus Intern Competition will either change your attitude completely, or you will fall at the first hurdle. 

When I began this competition, the idea of having to introduce myself to strangers and then trying to convince them to hand over their money for a party popper would have meant a nervous breakdown and would have required a hefty glass of wine and maybe some jägerbombs for it to actually happen.  Now, however, I will happily waltz into any store in Sheffield (having done so numerous times by stage 3 of the competition) and demand their best offer for the tatty book I have managed to garner from the nice lady in Oxfam.


The Intern Competition will help you to get over whatever feelings of shyness you have and will help you expand your capabilities as a person, as well as a businessman/woman.  After your time in the competition, you will be capable of selling anything to anyone for any price.


HARRIET STREET
"The Intern Blog"

















I first signed up for The Intern because I thought 'why not?'. At best, I could win a paid internship; at worst I would have tried something new and it would have been a new experience. However, The Intern has become so much more to me than that.

As I have progressed through the competition, I have learnt a huge amount about myself, and I have had loads of fun. Working in a team had always been something that I struggled with at school, but the past few weeks have highlighted to me how much I have improved. I have found my place in a group - I am a natural leader, but I have also learnt to take a step back and play more of a coordinating role if there is someone else who would like to lead. This balance means I can play an important role in successful teams, and I am very proud of this.

It has also surprised me how much fun I have had during this process. The tasks have been challenging and often stressful, but they have come naturally to me, allowing me to make friends, experiment with creative ideas, and develop new skills like selling and negotiating.

I am pleased that trying something new and out of my comfort zone has paid off so well - I have learnt new things about myself, gained amazing skills for my course and career, and had a great time. Winning would be the cherry on top.


TOM COXON LEWIS
"My Favourite Parts of the Competition"




















The Intern competition has been a fantastic experience for me, the projects fitted nicely around my university commitments, making it easy for me to take part in.
The competition has helped me to develop skills that I feel would be important in any CV or job interview, and I feel I could use the Intern as an example to show employers different scenarios were I needed to work within a team, show initiative and develop ideas.

In my favorite task of the competition we were asked to put together a ‘bid’ for certain products such as HomeMade Jam and Bracelets. Our team won a selection of bracelets and 5 jars of jam. We took the jam and baked it into cakes, cookies and scones, which we sold to offices and university staff as a midday treat!

Even if I don’t make the final of the competition, I have really enjoyed taking part and hope the skills I have gained in terms of dealing with the public and delivering products in a short time frame will help me as I progress at university.

ANU IYANDA
"Scrap for Cash"

















When you first hear about the intern competition you are likely to feel hesitant as you are not sure of what to expect. During the intro meeting, I seriously considered pulling out as I was surrounded by loads of business students and as an engineering student I felt like I didn’t belong. With the introduction of the first task which involved trading party poppers for items of a higher value, my heart sank deeper and deeper as the thought of having to approach someone and convince them to take the party popper in exchange for something more valuable  made me weak at the knees.

However this turned out to be my favourite task by far! I could not believe the immense generosity of the members of the public, from the businesses to our local students, I mean I was able to trade a party popper for 50 “I love vodka” posters that were due to be chucked away and later sold them for a £1 each!

As the competition went on I became more confident, I learnt about the value of good communication, that team work can do wonders and also the importance of being a persistent strong leader with good listening and decisive skills when organising a team.
All these experiences have lead me to believe that once you believe in yourself, it is actually very possible for you to achieve what you set out to, even though things might appear very difficult at the start.

3 comments:

  1. That's really amazing post thanks for share .
    its very fantastic city lots of entertainment places in Sheffield and also
    good for study . . .


    Student accommodation close to Hallam University | Cheapest student accommodation in Sheffield

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very useful to me.Really very nice article

    ReplyDelete