Friday 11 October 2013

Meet The Execs: Rob Ryan

In the first Meet The Execs feature, we meet Rob Ryan, a third year English and Linguistics student. Rob is the Project Director of Hope Cosmetics. 


How did you join Enactus?


I joined Enactus after competing in our The Intern competition, an Apprentice-style format we run at the University. I absolutely love The Apprentice and secretly have a big desire to go on the show one day! So when I heard about The Intern I was like sign me up, I’m winning this thing. Turns out I didn’t in the end but hey I joined Enactus, so it still counts as a win!

Any hobbies?

Enactus? Hobbies? The two are mutually exclusive by nature! No, in all seriousness, I really enjoy going to the gym (yes it’s a boring answer – but it’s a good stress relief!) and last year I had my own radio show on Forge Radio. It was a brilliant experience, I got to interview people like DJ Fresh and The Other Tribe and I quite fancied myself as the next Scott Mills at one point!

Favourite brand?

Tough one! If money weren’t an issue, I’d probably say Apple and All Saints. Both mass market and mass-produced (not sure what that says about me…) but they’re successful for a reason. They both make top class products, it’s just a shame I can’t afford a £300 jacket in All Saints case!

Favourite night out in Sheffield?

I’m team Pop Tarts I’m afraid. I used to work at the Union and it was the one night of the week I looked forward to working! DQ +1/Drop comes a close second.

What do you want to do after Uni?

I would love to go into Marketing after my degree, but ideally working for a funky, small-ish marketing company somewhere in London! I’d love to have some creative input and work in a really dynamic and creative team, but I realise this is perhaps a big ask for a graduate straight away!

Have you ever cried on a night out?

Yes… It seems Glenn the Commercial Director has grassed me up... no comment!

How often do you shower?

I shower once a day, sometimes twice if I go to the gym in the afternoon... You can now all carry on with your lives now you know this important information.

Highlight of your time in Enactus so far?

My Enactus highlight would definitely be my trip to Nigeria last year for our HOPE Nigeria project. I was petrified of going before I left – I’d never been to Africa, never mind to set up a shea butter cooperative with villagers! It was genuinely one of the very best moments of my life so far and something I will never forget. I get very proud and happy thinking of the last day when we drove off knowing we’d truly made a difference to people’s lives. It was very emotional!

1 comment:

  1. Only just catching up with this. But how could you let the shower question go, Rob, without mentioning the three-hour-long event that followed Gunge a Linguist 2013...!

    ReplyDelete