Wednesday 20 November 2013

Meet the Execs: Bethan Rimmington

Bethan, now a masters student (partly because she just couldn't bring herself to leave), is the project director for a selection of the international projects in Sheffield's portfolio. I shall let her explain... 



Name and course? 

Bethan Rimmington, Masters in International Development 

What was your first impression of Enactus when you joined? 

 I didn’t really know what to think of it at first, I joined the HOPE City Hearts project (just City Hearts back then) because I wanted to do something to help the women but hadn’t wanted to volunteer in the safe house. There were some very odd meetings in the first few weeks when we were discussing making the women in HOPE look after chickens and sell the eggs which I am glad was never implemented! The first time I ‘got’ Enactus and the power it can have was when I sat down with the Project Leader and did some ideas generation and planning for the project. That was when I realised that, despite having only just joined as a member, I could have a real impact on this project and therefore these women’s lives. I haven’t looked back since. 

Where is your favourite place in Sheffield? 

 I really like the Dam House looking over Crookes Valley Park on a sunny day. Mainly because of the view but also because the previous managing director of Enactus Sheffield used to work there so I have really lovely memories of spending time with her and some other Enactus friends there! I also went there for my graduation meal which was lovely. 

Any plans for after graduation? 

I’m fairly sure you aren't meant to ask final year students that unless you have already heard they have a job lined up… I want to go into social enterprise and International development so will be applying for jobs in that area when I (finally!) graduate. 

What made you so interested in international projects? 

After my first year in Enactus I volunteered with a charity called Tenteleni in a secondary school in South Africa. (They are currently recruiting NOW for next summer – I would recommend it to anyone!). It was such a great experience and within a week I had completely fallen in love with Africa. It’s such a beautiful, vibrant and friendly place. I came back thinking how great it would be to be have the skills and confidence to work there and after a few more months of Enactus I started to question why I thought I didn’t have the skills and confidence?! It was then I decided I was going to combine the two things I love and try and work in social enterprise in Africa. Since then I have been on two trips to Nigeria to implement HOPE Nigeria and am currently working on some more of our international projects this year. 

Favourite food in the world? 

I really love lemon pudding as my mum has made it for almost all of my birthdays since before I can remember. It’s not the same unless it’s a bit burnt though…. 

When did your alarm go off this morning? 

7am this morning. Kills me as I am not a good morning person but if I want to balance a masters, a job, Enactus and a position on the Tenteleni committee then I’ve got to do it! Radio 1 helps get me up. 

Best moment of Grantham 2013? 

This year was my second Grantham and it was yet again such an amazing experience. I love the feeling of being part of something so big, and how proud Jim, the executive director, is of all his Enactus students. My favourite moment was at the posh dinner (well, as posh as a dinner at PGL can be). Jim got on stage and simply asked “What happened at your University that wouldn’t have happened if you weren’t there?”. He then played a video that showed all the amazing projects from around the UK and it was such a special moment knowing you were in a room of hundreds of students who were going out of their way to help others and would leave a legacy, no matter how small, of something they had made better. 

Would you describe yourself as a good driver? 

Haha, so I’m guessing this has come up because I have been the designated Enactus driver for three years now! In my first Enactus year we practically ran the City Hearts project out of my car and after transporting all the shea butter for HOPE Cosmetics it will now forever smell of raw shea butter. So I am a pretty confident driver which unfortunately means I sometimes don’t pay attention and have a few near mishaps. In six years of driving though nothing serious has ever happened, well... unless you count me knocking down the wall outside of my house. But I maintain it was so old that all it needed was a tap and the whole thing would come down…

No comments:

Post a Comment