Friday 8 November 2013

Meet The Execs: James Kirk

Meet James Kirk, the HomeMade director. He speaks about his facial hair, his love of trainers... and I think he mentions Enactus somewhere...


Name and course? 

James Kirk, second year Accounting and Financial Management.

What was it like presenting at the Enactus National competitions last year? 

Incredible! I’ve never done anything like it and I probably never will. There was a lot of hard work in the build up to Nationals – learning the ever changing script, working on tone of voice, practicing Q&A, all alongside pushing all the amazing projects we have at Enactus Sheffield to be the very best they could be, I think everyone was physically and mentally exhausted.
However it was all worth it upon arriving in London. Getting a chance to network with other Enactus teams and learning about their projects was great. We made it through the opening round, semi-final and eventually to the final round. The reception we got at each was amazing; it really illustrates how life-changing our projects at Enactus Sheffield are. In the end the judges placed us second overall in the UK. I’m hoping we can do one better in 2014. It’d mean we can all have an Enactus holiday (if you can call it that) to Beijing.
Throughout the whole process of Nationals I’ve learnt so many things that I’ve been able to transfer to my project work. It’s something I’d definitely recommend getting involved in if you want to develop yourself and take your Enactus career to the next level.

Tell me about your facial hair. 

We met when I was at secondary school, and we’ve never left each others side. But seriously, I always have to have a little bit of something going on, after a clean shave I have such a baby face. I’m not looking forward to getting a job for this reason alone, I’ll be forever mistaken for a lost 12 year old boy.

How many pairs of Nikes do you own? 

Six. This consists of four pairs of Air Max 1s, one pair of Roshes, and finally a pair of Air Force 1s. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. My wardrobe is so big I once got lost and for a minute swore I could see Narnia.

Describe your ideal Saturday? 

Have a little lie in. Get some old school R&B on. It has to be pancakes for breakfast, preferably with golden syrup, and of course a good quality cup of coffee. Then I’d go somewhere nice – maybe get wrapped up warm and go to the peaks, or at least have a little adventure somewhere and go for a nice meal. Failing that, watch a classic film. I’d probably finish the day in a nice pub somewhere, all in good company of course.
 
How awesome is your Grandad? 

If you haven’t already guessed by the amount I talk about him, pretty awesome! The best plumber in Sheffield AND he once built a boat – I think he’s still fitter in his old age than I am right now. I’m a very family orientated person so I’m very close, and have a great relationship with them all. Mainly because they’re all full of hilarious stories and offer some great cooking.

What are you hoping the homemade project will achieve this year?

 I’m expecting a lot this year. I have an amazing team working hard, week in and week out, so I’m sure they can achieve the goals we’ve been set and maybe even a little more.
If you’re not clued up on Homemade (shame on you), we work with homeless individuals on a jam-making enterprise. Essentially the guys in Bevin Court homeless shelter gain transferable skills and knowledge which enables them to find employment, and once again become self-sufficient.
This year we’re looking to add much more than skills on a basic level. This may be through other activities within the business such as sourcing the fruit. Hopefully we’ll also get the guys at craft fairs, interacting and selling the jam to potential customers thus improving their confidence among other things. So far we’ve managed to secure a deal to stock Homemade jam in Just Natural, Crookes, and we should be soon appearing in other socially responsible retailers around Sheffield in the near future.
Another aspect of the project we’re working on is to build on the culinary skills the men have gained in earlier stages of Homemade and provide them with a work placement, once again furthering their future job prospects. If you haven’t already, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, you’ll not regret it!

Favourite library in Sheffield? 

Believe it or not I don’t use the library too much; in fact I took my first ever book out of the library this week (don’t laugh). I suppose it just means that uni is starting to get real, I’m sure I’ll use it more as second year progresses. As for my favourite I’d probably have to say the IC, just for the spectacular views of Sheffield you get. The view from level 6 looking south is unbelievable. If you see me in the library, now you know what I’m doing. 

What has been your most embarrassing moment since starting at university? 

There’s been a few. Being a massive lightweight? Crying at Nationals? Ask me after a few drinks and I’ll divulge further.

What are you having for dinner tonight? 

I’m actually going up to Manchester tonight to visit a few friends I went to school with, and go to WHP (sorry, not sorry). Either way I don’t get to see them too much so we’ll probably eat out. Last time I visited we went to the most amazing Mexican place tucked away down some back street; it was such a cool little place. I ordered a sweet chilli pork burrito. Sounds crazy, tastes crazier.

No comments:

Post a Comment