Wednesday 27 November 2013

Meet The Execs: Caroline Turner

The long anticipated interview with the managing director of Enactus Sheffield, Caroline, is finally here. Caroline has put her heart and soul into managing the company, so its not surprising that when asked what she would do with 24 hours and a limitless budget, the first thing she thinks of is simply "sleep". 




Name and course?
Caroline and I am a second year accounting and financial management student. When you first signed up as a member last year, did you have any idea how much you would get involved in Enactus? No! Definitely not, I was very happy working in HOPE and loved my team and the great work the project does. In fact, when Bethan, the international director, approached me to step up to the HOPE Nigeria team I actually said no twice. The somehow I just got more involved and ended up shadowing the previous managing director, still certain that I was fine in my original project and reluctant to move. Having said that I couldn’t be happier that I became more involved as now Enactus is my life. I would definitely recommend that everybody signs up to the rotational trainee scheme! Where was your favorite holiday?
My all time favourite holiday was to Thailand where I got to ride elephants and feed baby tigers - it was incredible! I would love to go back one day. Describe your bedroom? Colourful - mainly pink! I also got 500 pictures printed out last year so there’s not much free wall space. If you had 24 hours to do absolutely whatever you wanted, with no responsibilities or a budget, what would you do? The possibilities to do something really exciting are endless but I think I would just catch up on sleep, and probably visit my family as I definitely don’t see enough of them! What was it like taking over from Jahaan, the previous managing director? A little bit scary to say the least! She was MD for 3 years and left a legacy of incredible projects and pushed the company forward to change lives more than anyone else ever has, so as you can imagine, that’s big shoes to fill! Jahaan is still involved though and I talk to her regularly, I couldn’t be more grateful for the work she put into the company and the help she gives us now. Favourite game on your iphone? Candy Crush Saga takes up WAY too much of my life, although I also snapchat one of my sisters about 100 times per day. Tell us your favourite university memory.
Probably during freshers when we decided to take 7 of our office chairs and race them down the hills in Ranmoor - it was great fun although nearly led to a broken leg! We didn’t get caught (although maybe I will now) but some others tried to copy us and promptly broke their chairs and got caught by security - so please don’t try and copy this! Describe a typical day in the life of Caroline? Wake up around 8 or 9 in the morning, do Enactus work, go to a variety of meetings, I spend about an hour replying to all my emails, go to lectures, and if I have time spend some time with my housemates. (They’re usually laughing at my failed attempts to cook edible food!)


No comments:

Post a Comment