Thursday 27 February 2014

Meet The Execs: Kirsty Macdiarmid

This week we speak to Kirsty, the HR Director, who has A LOT to say...




Name and Course:
Kirsty MacDiarmid, 3rd year Business Management

What made you interested in HR?
I love meeting and getting to know different people which has always been my main source of enjoyment and when I took a module in HR in 2nd year it went from there really. The module helped me to form the view that people are the strongest asset of any company. This people focus got me interested in HR and to be instrumental in helping companies demonstrate a commitment to their people allowing them to reach new levels of competitiveness is what I want to do in my career and have already seen in practice at Enactus Sheffield!

Describe your routine before a night out?
Well how long have you got? (Joking) Getting ready for a night out can literally start the day before for me! I like to take my time getting ready, whack on some tunes and chill out! Which means I pretty much am always last out of the girls to be ready much to their annoyance! But I would like to point out I can get ready for Uni in 5 minutes so it really depends on the occasion!

What are you excited for?
At the moment I am absolutely buzzing to go to Amsterdam tonight! This is my third year going on the Management Society Invasion trip and it’s always so much fun and great to see a bit of Europe to! This year will probably be even more special as it’s my final year and I’m starting to get a bit Sentimental!

As an admin exec, do you miss working directly on a project?
Yes and No! I was lucky enough to join Enactus in my first year and be an original member of the HOPE City hearts project. It has been amazing to watch the project grow over the years and last year being project leader I learnt so much about myself as well as meeting some of the most inspirational women I would never otherwise have had the chance to meet. They really helped me put my life into perspective and getting to know them all individually whilst being a part of their recovery is an indescribable privilege. I still get emotional thinking about the change in some of the women and look back on the memories fondly! That is probably what I miss the most about working directly on a project but I look at my role now as equally important. It’s my job to find new people who get to work with these women and equally gain as much out of the experience as I did! Seeing the new members of HOPE and all teams enjoying their project whilst pushing them to improve is so rewarding, it doesn’t really get much better than that!

How many cushions do you have in your room?
I haven’t really counted but I do have quite a few! Secret passion to be an interior designer maybe?

Favourite Enactus evening snack?
Easy… Sweet and salty popcorn from Tesco! It’s a top favorite of a lot of the execs. I also sometimes bring along dinner as 3-8 can be quite a long one!

If money were no object what would you do with your future?
Wow! Hmm, I’ve never really thought about that really but I would have to do something that kept me busy as I constantly have to be on the go. Probably travelling the world meeting new people and helping wherever I can with whatever money I had. Resources are just not shared equally in the world and if you could be a part of improving the balance your life would be worthwhile. That definitely reminds me of the Queen B song ‘I was here’! Cheesy as it is you really are remembered not for what you have but for making a positive difference in another person’s life!

Why do you think people should be a part of the executive team?  
I cannot encourage people enough to get involved further in our Enactus team and join the execs! It’s an incredible experience to be involved in the strategic decisions of the company and increase your own skills dramatically! It’s a huge step up in responsibility but is massively fun and has been the highlight of my Uni experience. If anyone is thinking about it but is not sure just send me an email or come and have a chat at Enactus evening 

No comments:

Post a Comment